Saturday, July 28, 2018

Why Choosing Actors and Actresses to "Play" Your Characters Helps You See Them Better




Hi  everyone.
Now, as it happens my characters don't always want to look like actors/actresses, but some do, and those who do tend to completely decide who they look like.

Why it helps 

I have found this happening in one of my stories that I did not have a clear vision of what my character's face looked like. I knew what their hair and their entire body looked like except for their face. It was like they were turning away from me. (Which I may add they probably were.)

One of the characters that actually introduced me to choosing actors and actresses to play my characters was Lady Annabelle. It took her several books to finally decide what she looked like. And in one of them she decided she looked like Emma Watson. Here is a photo edit I made of her:
(original image from Rotten Tomatoes, https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/beauty_and_the_beast_2017#&gid=1&pid=h-136537 ) 
 As you can see from this picture choosing an actress or actor to "play" your character does not change their hair color, or if they are human or an elf or whatever you had in mind for them.

Also with my main character Horatio it took me a long time to find an actor to "play" him,
until after rewatching a few episodes of the TV series Death in Paradise and watching the movie adaptation of William Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice (2004), where the actor Kris Marshall plays both Gratiano and Humphrey Goodman. He caught my eye as being like Horatio. (Horatio had more control of what he looked like than I did.)

(Image from Rotten Tomatoes, https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/death_in_paradise?#&gid=1&pid=t-270000) 

After Horatio suddenly decided that he looked like that it actually influenced the way I drew him.



A Older drawing of Horatio:                   And a newer one: 





As you can see from my drawings, Horatio got quite developed because of choosing an actor. 

How it helps with writing 
Sometimes I have found that when I am (pretending) to talk to a character that my voice is the one responding to me, not my character's. (This mostly happens if the conversation is taking place in my head.) But if it is my voice responding to me instead of the character's voice then it can be kind of annoying. It's like I am talking to myself and not my character. Now this is where choosing actors/actresses to "Play" your characters comes in handy. If of course you decide to choose the actor or actress because of their acting and not because they look like how you imagine your character. (Though it is important to choose an actor or actress that looks like your character even if only in the face.)
If you have seen the actor or actress act before even if it is only once or even just in a trailer it can help you to understand what your character's voice sounds like. (Even if you decide to slightly modify the actor or actress's voice to go along with your character.)
But if you haven't I recommend at leaast watching a movie or TV show that they are in, but if you don't have the time for either then just watch a trailer from a movie they are in.

How this could help with writing screenplays 
 I've never really written a screenplay or script before, even though I do want to. But let's say you are a writer for a movie, TV show, etc. And you have a famous actor or actress who was asked to play the main character in the movie or TV show. As you write the script (if it wasn't already written) you probably would imagine the actor or actress playing the character. So before you get into writing screenplays for plays or movies or TV shows, these recommendations might be good to do in the meantime.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Do you choose actors and actresses to "play" your characters? If so then which ones? 
-Quinley

15 comments:

  1. Great post! It's fun to imagine your characters looking over your shoulder and talking to you about what they look like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m actually not super familiar with actors, tbh. I do have a few picked out to “play” my some of my characters, but not all of them.

    I do like to have at least one reference picture for each character though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that’s cool that you have picked out some actors/actresses to “play” some of your characters, even if not for all your characters.
      -Quinley

      Delete
  3. That's so cool! :-D I don't usually pick an actor for my characters, but I always pick pictures on Pinterest for my charries. :-D It's so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) That’s cool that you use Pinterest to look for pictures that look like your characters.
      -Quinley

      Delete
  4. *jaw drops* SOMEONE KNOWS ABOUT DEATH IN PARADISE?!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Excuse me while I #canteven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another Death in Paradise fan?! That's awesome, it's hard to find people who like the show. Anyway who is your favorite character?
      -Quinley

      Delete
  5. This is a great idea! I must use it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kendra. :) I’m glad you like my idea.
      -Quinley

      Delete
  6. I usually just pick out pictures that I think look like my characters, but I did do almost the entire cast for one of my books on present day actors that could really play the part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Awesome! :) Who are some of the actors/actresses you chose to play your characters?
      -Quinley

      Delete
  7. Great thinking! I guess when they portray your character it's easy for you to be into the story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do this all the time. It helps imagine how their voices sound, too. I've also written quite a few fanfictions but I mainly write things with my original characters. I sometimes picture myself playing the characters, too.

    ReplyDelete


Comment moderation is turned on. I apologize if your comment does not show up right away. If your comments are off-topic, inflammatory, or mean they will not be approved.