Sunday, October 31, 2021

"There's Nothing Wrong With Me!"| A Performance From Sherlock




Hello fellow actors, I hope you're having a Happy Halloween! 

When I was searching for a monologue for an audition in 2020, (which I didn't end of doing because the monologue ended up not fitting the mood of the show) I came across this one  from BBC's Sherlock. While in the original show Sherlock is trying to prove to Watson that he is fine (with them talking back and forth), I had to change the script for audition reasons so that Sherlock was the only one talking, and is talking directly to the audience (John Watson).  

He is trying to prove to the audience (John) that he is alright. Sherlock is a very calm and collected person, so, the fact that he of all people is afraid of a "Hell hound" that he has seen is very unusual. Even Sherlock Holmes is scared. 

I think it is worth mentioning that the show I was going to be auditioning for was about the pandemic and being quarantined, and I thought this monologue perfectly captured the feeling of uncomfortableness and even the feeling of being frightened about the pandemic. I tried to show that element in the monologue, given that I feel the fear Sherlock is feeling is similar. Because the fear he has is not a fun fear the kind you get from reading a ghost story, but instead a real fear. So without further ado, I present you, my version of this monologue:


You can also watch it here 

I have been working on this monologue for a year and a little more (getting to know Sherlock Holmes as a character throughout that time), so I am glad that I finally got it to where I wanted it to be and filmed it. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Which episode of Sherlock do you think is scarier The Hounds of Baskerville or The Abominable BrideAnd, which character would you want to play in BBC's Sherlock

-Quinley 

16 comments:

  1. Great job on the monologue! I like how you sort of differentiate between the kinds of fear, too- that's a great point! There's the fun (kinda) fear we get from a scary movie or whatever and then REAL fear lol.

    Happy Halloween!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Greg. :) I'm glad you enjoyed it.
      And I hope you had a Happy Halloween. :D
      -Quinley

      Delete
  2. This was awesome! You're such a great actor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not familiar with the original Sherlock (I've only seen the odd episode of Elementary), but that was a good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roberta. :) I'm glad you enjoyed my performance.
      -Quinley

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen the show, but this is cool

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! I will try to comment on your blog more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank you. :) And feel free to comment whenever you want. :D
      -Quinley

      Delete
  6. I love how emotional and dramatic it was!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I came up with a great name for the girl character with the bow and arrows. Here is the name I came up with: Anatolia! I think Anatolia is a great name for that character. -Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the name suggestion for my character. :D
      -Quinley

      Delete
  8. For some reason I only JUST got the YT notification so I hopped on over here to see if you'd posted and I loved the monologue! Actually we had a dramatics improv event in school this year and in the elimination round we need to perform a monologue so I think I'm going to sue this one! I love how you made the dialogues your as well as used the emotions from the original scene :) Great video, Quinley! Have an awesome November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maya, I'm glad you enjoyed my performance. :D And feel free to use the monologue for your audition! If you ever decide to record it, I would love to see your interpretation of it. :) I hope you have an awesome November too.
      -Quinley

      Delete


Comment moderation is turned on. I apologize if your comment does not show up right away. If your comments are off-topic, inflammatory, or mean they will not be approved.