Saturday, April 9, 2022

Announcing My April 2022 Project: Dolls of Wax, Eyes of Glass

I have started rewriting and editing Dolls of Wax, Eyes of Glass for April's Camp NaNoWriMo. Since I do not plan to repeat myself, because not a lot of the story has drastically changed (partly because it didn't take me so long to finish the first draft), I will not be including the characters' bios again.  So if you wish to learn more about the characters, I recommend checking out this post or looking at this page

Let's begin:                                                    

                                                     Synopsis- 

Genre: Gothic Horror | Historical Fiction 

Maltida Moore was found dead at the castle, her brother, Felix, is missing. No trace of him was found except an eyeless wax doll made in his likeness. What happened at the castle is unknown, but it is as if something evil is lurking within it...something evil is causing these terrible events to happen.

                                           How the editing is going so far- 

At the moment, I am rewriting the part of the novel that is told from Felix's perspective, since in the first draft, I did not really focus on his that much. (I focused on Matilda's more.) By focusing on him I have managed to figure out details about him that I did not discover before. 

(image from wikipedia,
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Hughes_(artist)#/media/File:Arthur_Hughes_by_Arthur_Hughes.jpg)

I've also been working on figuring out his voice more. I have it somewhat figured out, but I want to get more into the details about him, because like Maltida he is a complex character. 

I am in multiple "cabins" this Camp NaNoWriMo: one that I am running, and one I am just a member of. In one cabin there was a character development question prompt, which I answered for Felix. I discovered elements about him through doing the exercise. For example, some random things I discovered about him were that he wanted to visit France, and that he used to (long ago) tell stories to his sister, Maltida. Felix in the first draft mostly kept to himself, so I am so glad that he is finally speaking to me and revealing his secrets. 

(Image from Pinterest, https://www.pinterest.com/pin/312859505337819468/)

Other parts of my rewriting work taught me about Matilda. 
I found this painting. It was a catalog cover. It took me a while to find the original painting, but when I did couldn't help but write a scene inspired by it told by Matilda. The castle in my story is surrounded by a forest and trees, and I could imagine Matilda choosing to walk through it and reading there, and having something mysterious or unexplainable happen while she was there. 

I have also started expanding on scenes that didn't get much attention in the first draft. The first draft in a way acted as an outline for the novel. For example, I created a scene (which wasn't really a scene in the first draft since Matilda simply told the audience she stopped at a village), and added in details like what was going on in the village, who the people Maltida met were, and even what the village looked like (the general mood/atmosphere). 

I've also been focusing on keeping the audience questioning whether what the narrators are saying is true or not, because I want the readers to be confused as to what is actually happening and have to decide on one of the many answers provided by Felix and Maltida. My goal is to create something similar to what happened in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, where there are several answers as to where Ichabod Crane went--whether the headless horseman actually kidnapped him or whether he left because Brom "Bones" scared him away. 

So, that has been how Camp NaNoWriMo has been going for me so far.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you're doing Camp NaNoWriMo, how is it going for you? What project(s) are you working on? 

-Quinley 

17 comments:

  1. It's very interesting to read how you go about things, I wouldn't know where to start! Good luck with the editing, have a great day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing about your process and how the artwork inspired you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I've also been focusing on keeping the audience questioning whether what the narrators are saying is true or not, because I want the readers to be confused as to what is actually happening and have to decide on one of the many answers provided by Felix and Matilda."
    That sounds fun! Not one, but two unreliable narrators 😀.

    Don't you love it when characters have a mind of their own? LOL. At least, that's what I hear from other authors as well, so I guess it's a common occurrence!

    Good luck with NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :)
      I do love when characters end up having a mind of their own, because it gives me a new perspective on the story.
      -Quinley

      Delete
  4. Interesting! Love that image. And that's neat about the Sleepy Hollow comparison- the ambiguity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me: Dolls of Wax, Eyes of Glass? Why does that sound so creepy?
    Oh because its Gothic Horror, that makes sense LOL

    Good luck with Camp this month! I'm not doing it this month (or at least, I haven't planned to or started yet. I could always jump in 11 days late!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for wishing me luck. Camp NaNoWriMo went well for me this month. :)
      -Quinley

      Delete
  6. I'm kind of late replying to comments (shocker, right) but did you ever get Lord of the Rings Online to work (I think you mentioned you were having trouble with it)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so good! I'm a sucker for anything Sleepy Hollow related.
    I'd love to see how this keeps going for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rewriting is so interesting because it tends to transform your stories in ways you don't always expect. Love the sound of this!

    ReplyDelete


Comment moderation is turned on. I apologize if your comment does not show up right away. If your comments are off-topic, inflammatory, or mean they will not be approved.