Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Getting Characters onto Paper (Part 2)






hello everyone, Last time I was talking about characters so I decided I should
 continue it.




                                                 Drawing your character



a drawing I did of one of my characters

sometimes it's hard to imagine what your character looks like ,

it helps to draw them, it doesn't matter if your an artist or not, it just helps to see what your characters look like.

if you don't feel comfortable drawing then you can make a character collage ,

a character collage is when you find images that go along with your character , and make a collage out of them. it's a way to show what your character is like without using words...

here is a example of a collage I made of Silena from Tess Short:

(original pictures  from http://thedesignleaf.com/
https://uk.pinterest.com/carriangel/emily-soto/
http://weknowyourdreams.com/tree.html
http://drawntowriting.blogspot.com/2016/05/creating-worlds-writing-camp-project_56.html)




Getting to know your character 

One of the most important things is knowing your character, knowing what they would do in situations, or even how they walk or talk. 

Walking like your character
for this one it requires that you stand up from your computer keyboard or from your writing note-book, and take a walk outside or somewhere that is a wide open space. 
start by taking a simple walk around the room. after going the first time around start taking actions of how your character might walk , do they look behind their shoulder? do they skip along as they walk or do they trudge their feet on the ground?  do they lift their head as they walk or do they look down to the ground? once you have done this a couple times you can take notes and add it to your character sheet.

Talking like your character 

this one helps with dialogue in your stories, you can ask a Family member or friend for help with this. (since it requires two people.) you both sit at a table one of you is the character and the other one asks questions. First start talking normally and you can introduce yourself as your character , then your family member or friend can start asking you how are you? and stuff like that.
if you are having trouble starting the conversation and getting into character here are some things you start by saying:

1. "Greetings I'm ___ nice to meet you"

2. "what brings you here?"

3. or just a simple "Hi"

as your talking just like in the character walk start acting like your character , do movement with your hands or look behind you now and then, or do whatever you think your character would do...

Dress up as your character 

This one optional  but it's fun anyway and you can get the feeling of what it's like to be your character, and step into their shoes and have fun with it.

-------------------


hope you liked it , and I would love hear if you have done any of my ideas or are planning to.

-Quinley

4 comments:

  1. This is great advice, Quinley! If I ever write a story I'll definitely do this to better understand my characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I just found your blog by way of Jane Maree's Misty Maiden blog. I really, really like this post! I love writing stories, and this post has shown me ways to 'get into my characters'. Love this post. :)

      Delete
    2. Hi!:)
      Thank you!
      I had fun writing and thinking of the ideas, it’s awesome that they were helpful to you!:)

      -Quinley

      Delete


Comment moderation is turned on. I apologize if your comment does not show up right away. If your comments are off-topic, inflammatory, or mean they will not be approved.