Monday, January 10, 2022

Reflecting on My Surgery


Last year I mentioned in a post   that I had a surgery, so I wanted to make a post to reflect on it. 

 Actually, I had two different surgies for different reasons. One was to put a bar in me (so the indent in my chest didn't affect my lungs), and one to get the bar out, which I've had now for four years. (Side note: I had the first surgery around the time my blog was just beginning).  At that time I didn't really feel comfortable about talking about it (I did write a draft post about it, but I never posted it), but now I would like to talk about it, so that I have something to look back on years from now. And also to find others who have experienced something similar. 

 After I had the bar removed. the doctor asked if I wanted to keep it. I decided that I wouldn't like to keep it but would like a picture of it. This was partly because I had had it with me for four years (and it was pretty painful to have in my chest for four years), and I was not sure what would do with it. So here's the picture of my bar: 

For this surgery thankfully I didn't have to stay in the hospital overnight, unlike my previous one. So, I went home afterwards and mostly lay down while I was in pain. For my previous one, I don't remember a whole lot from it (partly because it was a while ago and partly because of the medication). 

But interestingly enough, I did end up taking a picture of my hospital room (in 2017, while I was in the hospital there). I can't comment much on what happened, but I briefly remember being so out of it the entire time. I watched The Hobbit. Lord of the Rings, and Burn Notice while lying in the hospital bed. 

Watching The Hobbit 


Also, during that time I brought a few of my dolls with me:
Tauriel, Legolas, and Dr. Crusher. And I also brought Sarah and Rebecca with me. 

But the surgery that happened in 2021 was different.
Even after the second surgery was over, and my incisions healed, I was still recovering. There were still things that hurt to do, that I had to get myself back into doing. For example, for a while I found it hard to draw on paper. (I could draw digitally, but drawing on paper hurt because of the pressure.) And I found it hard to play piano. But it has gotten easier. Also, in 2021 after my surgery I started doing Tai Chi and hope to do it every day. It makes me feel better not only physically but emotionally. If I am stressed, I do it, and I feel better. 

                       Stories that helped me through my surgeries: 

"The Gift" (Star Trek: Voyager)- Seven of Nine in that episode, had a surgery to remove her Borg implants. I deeply related to this, partly because I had just had my surgery when I watched this episode, and what Seven was experiencing was something I deeply related to. Star Trek itself was something that I'd watch as a stress reliever before and after both surgeries. For example, before the surgery (the day before it), I couldn't really think to write and watching something was how I kept my mind off of it. 

And while I only discovered this episode in 2021, it was a very happy moment for me, partly because Seven of Nine has been a character I relate to deeply because of how much pain she goes through due to her Borg implants. 

Lord of the Rings (The book and the movie series)- I mentioned a while ago that this book reminded me of something that happened last summer, but I never specified what happened last summer that reminded me of this book (and movie) series. Frodo went through a lot of pain in the book and movie mostly due to the one ring, and to the fact that he **spoilers**  was stabbed by a ring wraith. **end spoilers** The character was one I really related to (much like how I related to Seven of Nine). 

Frankenstein- While I didn't discover it till after the first surgery,  this book came up in a conversation around the second surgery which started with me saying "I can handle Frankenstein, but I can't handle anything medical." This led my sibling to comment that this sounded like something the monster would say about Victor Frankenstein. I also partly wondered  how surgical the monster's creation was. (Shelley doesn't get into details of how Victor brought the monster to life, so it's really up to your imagination.) I have always related to both Victor and the monster (for different reasons). I suppose I can say that I relate to the monster as someone who has also had a surgery. 

How my surgeries affected me creatively: 

While I mentioned that I had difficulty drawing after my second surgery, my first surgery actually opened doors for my creativity. I couldn't sing before my first surgery. (I didn't have enough air to do so.) So, it opened the world of songwriting and singing for me. Had I had not had this surgery, I would not now be able to cover songs or write original songs as I do. 

I also (unfortunately) had nightmares after my second surgery. However, I have decided to use them creatively in my writing. Because even though they were disturbing, they can make wonderful Gothic novels or even poems. 

I have also decided I would like to write a story based on my surgery. One of my novels was actually inspired by my surgery (unintentionally, at the time like my other writing I didn't know I was writing about that). I plan to re-plot this story, given that I wrote a while ago. But it still holds importance to me even today. 

I should say that during my first surgery, I was doing Camp NaNoWriMo, and I made sure that I got to the word count goal. Even though I was in pain, I was aware that writing helped me feel better. And in the end I got to the word count goal!

And after my second surgery, once I was feeling better, I felt empowered to re-film the three video projects I had been working on. At the moment I am still editing the last two videos. but I have posted the one I finished working on here

So, even if things seem tough, you can get to your goals in the end. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you have stories that you like, that remind you of a moment in your life? 
-Quinley 

12 comments:

  1. Wow, this was really insightful! I hope you're good now - and that you finished NaNo during your surgery was amazing! Ooh, that's a hard one, but Harry Potter has always had this nostalgic vibe for me. Sorry to hear about the nightmares, but you're right! Dreams are a wonderful source of inspiration - once I got an idea at 3 am, woke up, and wrote it down because it sort of filled up a little plot hole I had haha. Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am doing much better now, and thank you again. :) Harry Potter is really good. :)
      That happens to me often too, ideas tend to come at night and I have to rush to write them down before I lose them.
      I hope you do too,
      -Quinley

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you have now recovered from both surgeries, that must have been painful with that bar inside you. Good that you found things to see you through the time in hospital! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspiring and empowering post how you used your pain to open up your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bar looks dreadful! I'm sorry you had to go through such a process - twice. But at least you were able to use your pain to create art, or were stimulated to create art in order to fight your pain, so I guess you could call it a silver lining. I hope you're well now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bar was very painful but I am glad I had it. And thankfully, it’s no longer in me.
      I agree, there is some silver lining to the whole situation. Thank you, I am feeling a lot better. :)
      -Quinley

      Delete
  5. Wow you had that in your chest! It's amazing to me sometimes the things they can put in us! It can be hard too to share stuff like this, so kudos to you for doing so. I had heart surgery back in 2017 as well (pretty young for it but it kind of runs in the family) so I can relate to sorta wanting to talk about it but not wanting to as well.

    Tai chi sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't talk about it much although I did a post at the time about it.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, medical science is amazing. I agree, it is really hard but I am glad I shared my experience.
      I can imagine that heart surgery must have been scary. I hope you're okay now?

      Tai Chi really is fabulous. :)
      -Quinley

      Delete


Comment moderation is turned on. I apologize if your comment does not show up right away. If your comments are off-topic, inflammatory, or mean they will not be approved.