Monday, July 3, 2017

When did we get a fox? (a short story)






Hi....
So, today I'm going to share a short story I wrote...which involves half elves, phoenixes, and talking foxes...
 For those who haven't heard of Celtiere you can read about him (Here, here, here, and here)
anyway...on with the story:

Celtiere opened his eyes. What had happened? Where was he? He looked over at his cross-bow, for some reason something was different about it, he didn’t know what? 
It looked slightly different…he tried to reach out to pick it up. When he tried, he saw a…paw!! Celtiere jumped back, a paw? Was that his hand? He couldn’t help but wonder, if something magical had gone wrong that turned him into…something with a paw, or rather paws. He looked over at the cross-bow again, and wondered if it was a good idea to pick it up since there was already an arrow in it that could go off. If he picked it up in the wrong way, and if he didn’t have hands, he probably couldn’t pick it up in the right way… 

“Greetings!” came a voice. Celtiere turned around to see a fox standing right next to him. “Who are you? and What brings you here?” 

Celtiere looked at the fox. Was the fox talking? And he could understand it…alright there must have been something that went wrong, because he couldn’t hear foxes talk yesterday.. “Umm…I’m Celtiere. And I have no idea what has brought me here…but I need to get back” answered Celtiere, wondering how he learned to talk to a fox. 

“Nice to meet you Celtiere. I’m Hugo,” said the fox. He seemed to be inquisitively gazing at Celtiere as if there was something different about him. “Anyway…It’s nice to meet another fox like me.” he said, gazing at Celtiere. 

A fox? That explained the paws, but why a fox? Only yesterday he had been a half elf…and now he was a fox. No, that couldn’t be possible…he had to be dreaming. Yes, it had to be dream. He waited for a sharp pinch from Riona to wake him up…nothing, he waited again, still nothing. Celtiere turned back to Hugo “I’m not a fox,” he said. He didn’t know quite what else to say. 

Hugo looked rather confused. He looked at Celtiere from head to paw. “I’m pretty sure you are a fox” said Hugo. “I don’t know why you're saying you aren’t a fox,” 

“Because I wasn’t. I was a half elf yesterday and I don’t know what happened that caused me to turn into a fox.” said Celtiere, “I’m really truly not a fox.” 

Hugo still seemed slightly confused, “Are you sure you're not imagining those things, about being a half elf?” he said. 

“I’m sure…and this is slightly weird to be able to talk to a fox, but anyway…I need to find my friends they must be out searching for me” he said, then he wondered if he would be able to tell them he was really Celtiere, what if he could only speak fox? What if he didn’t understand them? What if they didn’t understand him?? Well, he needed to find them first before he worried about that. 

“Umm…have you seen a brown haired elf recently, and a red headed girl with freckles?” he asked. Hugo looked rather surprised 

“You're looking for humans—“ he began. 

“Well, they're not technically humans. You see one's an elf, and other one is a phoenix who can turn into a human…but I suppose you could call them humans—“ interrupted Celtiere. 

“Umm…your looking for humans…who like to chase and hunt foxes” said Hugo. “I would not recommend that…” 

“But these humans don’t hunt foxes, so I have no reason to worry” said Celtiere, who didn’t want Hugo start going over the reasons why he shouldn’t go after his friends…

“But “ said Hugo, “Are you mad? We foxes don’t run up to humans or do anything with them.” 

“That’s because I’m not a fox” said Celtiere, who was wondering at the moment if he had gone mad, because he was hearing a fox talk!! “Anyway, I need to go find my friends now!!” before Hugo could reply, Celtiere had ran off through the trees and bushes looking for his friends…Finally, after a long search Celtiere saw his group, they were walking on the narrow path of the woods.

“I wonder where Celtiere could have gone” he heard Riona say… “Well…we can’t go on this quest with out him.” 

Quite right, thought Celtiere. Now all I need to do is get them to notice me…and then I can be a half elf again!  Celtiere wasn’t quite sure whether his plan would work or not, but it was worth a try. He quietly climbed out of the bushes that he was watching the group from, and scampered in front of their path.

“Oh, look a fox!” said Riona, kneeling down to Celtiere’s eye level.

 “I wonder why it ran in front of our path?” said the brown haired elf.

“I’m Celtiere, I got turned into a fox” blurted Celtiere, but to his surprise no one seemed to understand.

“Do you think it’s trying to tell us something?” the elf asked. 

“I don’t know, I don’t speak fox,” said Riona, who happened to know at least three languages which were: Phoenix, Elvish, and English.

“I’m trying to tell you, I’m Celtiere!!” said Celtiere, who was rather annoyed that no one could understand a word he was saying.

“Well…we need to continue searching for Celtiere, who knows were he might be now?” said Riona, standing up and brushing her dress off. 

“I’m right here!” shouted Celtiere, but the group took no notice of him and continued on the path… 


Celtiere sighed and gazed down at the path, would he ever get turned back? 

---------------------------

Hope you enjoyed the story 

What do you think will happen to Celtiere? Will he stay a fox forever or will he get turned back? 

-Quinley 

P.S I'm doing a "What's happening in this picture" on my doll blog, so feel free to comment with a caption

6 comments:

  1. I hope for his sake he gets turned back, being a fox would be fun...until fox hunting season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD I agree with Gray

      Great story Quinley :)

      Delete

    2. Thank you, Gray!:) and I agree being a fox would be fun…at least until fox hunting season.

      -Quinley

      Delete
    3. And thank you, Anna!:) I enjoyed writing it.
      -Quinley

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you I enjoyed writing it!:) and I like foxes, too.

      -Quinley

      Delete


Comment moderation is turned on. I apologize if your comment does not show up right away. If your comments are off-topic, inflammatory, or mean they will not be approved.