Wednesday, August 9, 2023

I Finished the First Draft of The Haunted Sketchbook

 


On July 11th, I completed the first draft of The Haunted Sketchbook, I had worked on it long before Camp NaNoWriMo--for a couple months in fact. 17,000 words was about the right amount of words to get me to finish the first draft (which ended about 40,000 words in total).

                                                                              Synopsis-

Genre: Gothic | Historical Fiction 

The Haunted Sketchbook is set in two time periods. 

In the past, an artist by the name of Ferdinand Diggory is experiencing a haunting. He discovers that his sketchbook is cursed; whenever he draws in it, it will twist the sketch into something monstrous, and something he didn't draw. 

In the present, Edith Porter is trying to discover whether the haunting was truly real-- she wants to discover the truth, but will her curiosity lead her into more danger than it's worth?

                    What's Next for The Haunted Sketchbook

I am currently working on characters in preparation for the 2nd draft. I want to make sure that I know the characters well, as I did with the second draft of Dolls of Wax, Eyes of Glass, which helped move the story forward and also create new discoveries along the way. 

I have recently been doing what is called a "character sketch" for some of the characters in the story. Basically, the writer lays out traits of the characters and then describes them in different perspectives (third, first, and second person). That's what I did for Ferdinand Diggory, and it highlighted an aspect of the character I had not seen before. I am going to do the same for Edith and even Cecile, as this technique helped me discover in the past what I had missed with Felix Moore--what elements of his character were being overlooked. 

I am also thinking about the backstory that Ferdinand has and what the ghost and other mysterious figures motives are. Even if the reader does not know their true motives, it is important to the characters to figure it out, so their actions seem clear. 

I also hope to research 18th century England. My knowledge of the 18th century mostly comes from American history, so I want to expand that knowledge to England when writing this story. As I noted in my Camp NaNoWriMo post about the novel, it takes place in two different time periods. (That is Edith's telling of it is set in the Victorian era, and Ferdinand's in the 18th century). 

I am going to be writing the second draft soon, so these are all things to look out for. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you're a writer, how do you develop your characters? If not, who are your favorite characters in Gothic fiction? 
-Quinley 

8 comments:

  1. "Basically, the writer lays out traits of the characters and then describes them in different perspectives (third, first, and second person)."
    I didn't know this technique was a thing...and an effective one, too!

    Double narratives with different time periods are fun! Good luck on your research and your second draft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you develop your work! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your premise for "The Haunted Sketchbook"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like dial timelines. And the character sketching sounds like a great idea! I should try that myself, to get to know my characters better. And yay for your first draft :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Haunted Sketchbook sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on that first draft! And I'm intrigued by your process for developing a story... all that research creates so many possibilities for interesting tensions, interesting characters.

    ReplyDelete


Comment moderation is turned on. I apologize if your comment does not show up right away. If your comments are off-topic, inflammatory, or mean they will not be approved.