Wednesday, June 1, 2022

To Be or Not To Be | A Performance From Hamlet (2022 Version)

                                       Greetings fellow actors and Shakespeare enthusiasts! 

I performed a version of "To Be or Not To Be" from Hamlet in 2019. It's been three years since then and I have learned a lot more about Shakespeare (and video editing) since I first performed it. So, I recently revisited it and reworked it. This is the end result. I hope you enjoy it: 


I've found that the way in which I approached the soliloquy was much different now than it was in 2019. In 2019 I focused more on the theme of death (I actually had a prop sword with me when performing it). But this time around I tried to be more philosophical. For example I asked myself, "what if I were to die, what then?" and "what happens after death?" There is of course, no right way to approach the soliloquy, but I find it interesting how the way in which I approached it has changed.

 On a similar note, I actually made a video which you can watch here comparing the performances by placing them next to each other. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------What is your favorite Shakespeare play? And do you have a favorite character or part from Hamlet
-Quinley 

8 comments:

  1. Great video, well played! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Shakespeare is "the gift that keeps on giving." I really liked watching the comparison video of your two performances -- very cool!

    My fave Shakespeare play is "Richard III." But I also love "Hamlet" and have a soft spot for the VERY minor characters Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. And of course, I love Tom Stoppard's play about them too where they take centre stage; it's very clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debra. :) I'm glad you enjoyed my performance.
      Richard III is such a good play as well, and I love Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, the writing in the play is very clever. :D
      -Quinley

      Delete
  3. Very nice. I like your philosophical approach actually- it seems very introspective and measured. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool! I remember in high school we had to take a soliloquy from Macbeth and perform it, and it was so much fun. I performed as Lady Macbeth. I think my favourite Shakespeare play would have to be either Macbeth or Romeo and Juliet. I think the latter is just very iconic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) Playing Lady Macbeth must have been so fun. Do you remember which monologue you did? :D Both Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth are awesome. :)
      -Quinley

      Delete


Comment moderation is turned on. I apologize if your comment does not show up right away. If your comments are off-topic, inflammatory, or mean they will not be approved.