Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Some Textile Art Pieces


I have recently started doing embroidery, it is a way for me to de-stress. I found when I do it I focus on what I'm sewing and end up forgetting why I'm stressed. 

A small update, you may have already noticed (since I did put it on my sidebar), I created a second YouTube Channel for my artwork (ex. Art, embroidery, and animation) called "Quinley's Art." You can check it out here 

But back to this post...along with photos of the art pieces, I will be posting videos of them, too. The videos will basically allow you to look at the art in different ways. 

Let's begin: 


This art piece is a mixture of embroidery, COPIC markers, and figures from pre-existing art pieces. The red haired figure is from John William Waterhouse's painting "Ophelia (1894)" and the other figure is from A painting of a girl and a unicorn. As far as I know the artist is unknown, but the model for the girl was Giulia Farnese. Anyway I put those two figures together in a forested scene that is different than the scenes they were in previously. My goal in this is to tell a different story with these figures, than the original paintings presented.  


Also, here is the video I made of the art piece.  


This I made for an embroidery challenge. I was given the fabric beforehand, so I didn't get to pick it out. The challenge was to how to use this as a backdrop for embroidery. So, I decided on a scene of a dragon and a castle. 

I'm not entirely sure if it is completely done, but at the moment I am done messing around with it.  

Here's the video of it. 



And lastly, this piece I made before the first one. I was experimenting with embroidering on paper, I had previously been writing in a note-book when I decided to embroider on the pages which then gave me the idea for this piece. 

I first drew in the circles, then embroidered the flowers in them, and continued till the page was full of flowers. I really like how it turned out in the end. 

Here's the video for it. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Which art piece is your favorite? Have you done embroidery? 

-Quinley

8 comments:

  1. Embroidery does seem like it would be relaxing. And I especially like the fantasy themes. :) Unicorns and forests would just seem to go well with embroidery, I don't know! Anyway... I like the flowers. Oh, and the music in the Two Princesses video is nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look good :-D I have never tried embroidery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your "free form" art embroidery, especially in "The Two Princesses." I learned how to do conventional embroidery when I was an adolescent in the 1960s and then later in the 1990s did some conventional cross-stitching. I haven't done any embroidery since, but I'm a fan of the take-no-prisoners style of contemporary feminist craftivist cross-stitch:

    https://shewhoseeks.blogspot.com/2018/01/maybe-ill-take-up-needlework-again.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) That's a cool style of embroidery, I've never heard of it until you mentioned it, thank you for introducing me to it. :)
      -Quinley

      Delete
  4. I am loving all the stitching texture in this post. Very cool mixed media art! hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete


Comment moderation is turned on. I apologize if your comment does not show up right away. If your comments are off-topic, inflammatory, or mean they will not be approved.