Tuesday, August 29, 2017

The Terrible Idea (A short story)


Hi everyone!:)
Today I thought I would post a short story, with the characters from this post .
This story involves elves, hobbits and, well... not well thought out ideas.
This story was actually inspired by a story I found in my writing notebook.
The original story that inspired it was only a few paragraphs long
compared to the one that you are going to read that is a lot longer:

(By the way- this a character development story and not the official story of A Thousand Years)


Tirfendiel paced around the cavern, the sound of his foot-steps was combined with the sound of water falling from the ceiling… 
the only light that could be seen was the one coming from his sword…it glowed a lime green color which made the cave look even more eerie… 
There was a stumble and a sound of something hitting against the stone floor… Tirfendiel turned around and shined the light from his sword where the sound was coming from. 
“Who goes there? Show yourself!” he said, but it came out more like: “W-who are you? S-show Y-yourself!!” 

“It’s just me,” said a filmier voice, a girl with blond hair tied into a loose braid appeared out of the darkness… it was Gletta, what a relief. 
“Where's Mr. Short?” asked Tirfendiel, who was clutching his sword which was still glowing… 
“I don’t know…” said Gletta, then she turned to her head to look at Tirfendiel’s sword.
“Are monsters still around? Why is your sword still glowing?” she asked 
“I don’t know,” said Tirfendiel. “It just happened…after I managed to defeat that troll. And it has been glowing ever since then.” 
“Well…” said Gletta, staring into the vast darkness… she was silent for a moment then she spoke: “What do you think could have happened to Mr. Short?” 
“I don’t know…” said Tirfendiel, feeling that he too was worried, even though he thought Mr. Short had been rather annoying, on the other hand he had begun to like that hobbit, and he didn’t like to think of what could have happened to him, if he hadn’t escaped. 
“But we must try to get out of this cave and then look for him and—“ before Tirfendiel had even finished that thought there was a sound in the darkness.
“What was that?” asked Tirfendiel, feeling the bravery he had before had disappeared. 
“I don’t know” said Gletta, grabbing a arrow from her quiver and putting her bow at a ready. “If any trolls followed us here…that might explain why your sword is still glowing.” 
Gletta walked silently up to where the sound had been, she made sure her foot-steps were as light as possible. She was determined to find out what was there and to figure out why Tirfendiel’s sword was still glowing. There was another thump again in the darkness, and a groan. 
‘What could be out there?’ she thought. She turned her head towards Tirfendiel who was still standing (rather stiffly) in the same place, while clutching his sword which remained glowing. 
“Aren’t you coming!?” whispered Gletta. 
“N-no, I am fine,” he whispered back. “I will just stay here.” 
Gletta sighed, and went on ahead anyway…it didn’t matter if Tirfendiel didn’t want to come she would just go and see what it was. She walked silently in the darkness of the cave. She could hardly see a thing. She wished Tirfendiel could have come with her, but on the other hand she understood why he didn’t want to go, who knew what danger lay ahead? Suddenly there was a thump in the darkness. Gletta turned around, she couldn’t see a thing..and worst of all, if there was something out there, she couldn’t see it. 

“Who are you? Show yourself!” she said, trying to sound brave, even though on the inside she felt terrified. 
“Ow…How am I expected to show myself? You can hardly see your hand in front of your face, here in this darkness” said the voice, it sounded a lot like Mr. Short, but how could it be? She hadn’t seen him when they had to escape from the trolls (It had been one of Tirfendiel’s badly thought out plans that got them stuck in this situation) but on the other hand maybe it was him. 
“Mr. Short, is that you?” she asked, though she wasn’t sure she trusted the speaker of the voice. What if it was a spirit trying to trick her? 
“Yes…” the voice said, there was a sigh of frustration from the darkness. 
“Are you alright?” said Gletta, not quite knowing what to say… 
“I think I lost my best pocket handkerchief,” said the voice. “I must of lost it during the fall.” 
“Umm…” mumbled Gletta, she wasn’t quite sure what to say, she wasn’t interested in pocket handkerchiefs, nor did she own one…she wasn't quite sure why Mr. Short even carried one. 
“How about since we found you…I can take you to where Tirfendiel is waiting.” 

“Alright…” said the voice, and took her hand. 
They both walked back to where Tirfendiel was…he was shaking his sword, as if trying to figure out why it was still glowing. 
He turned around when he saw Mr. Short and Gletta. 
“You found Mr. Short? But I thought—“ began Tirfendiel, but even before he could finish Mr. Short interrupted. 
“I was fine...sort of, I lost my pocket handkerchief…But thankfully the trolls didn’t get me.” 
There was a long akward silence between the questers. Finally, Gletta spoke: 
“Umm…may I ask how do we intend on getting out of here?” 
“I don’t know.” said Tirfendiel. “But maybe if we—“ before Tirfendiel could even finish his thought he was interrupted by Mr. Short and Gletta:
“No!! Please not one of your ideas again!” 
Tirfendiel sighed, “You didn’t even let me finish…And anyway why are so against my ideas?” 
“Well, last time you came up with an idea…it, well, got us all stuck here!” said Gletta.
Tirfendiel sighed… “That can't possibly be true. I always come up with amazing ideas—“ 
“Actually…I remember you suggesting we should use a catapult as a way to see what was faraway—” Mr. Short stated. 
“—As I was saying, my ideas always work out and I never come up with terrible ones!” he said. 
“Except for maybe one time.” 
Mr.Short and Gletta stared at Tirfendiel in a inquisitive way. 

“What!? I remember most of my ideas working” he said. 

------------------------------------------------
Hope you enjoyed reading the story,

Have you or your characters ever come up with crazy ideas? And have the ideas worked? 

Love, 
-Quinley

8 comments:

  1. Ooooooooooooooooooooooooh, I LOVED YOUR STORY!!! XD It's so cool. :-)
    I always come up with well thought out, insane ideas, and they always work out (ok, maybe only about 80% of the time). ;-D
    Are you going to post more stories about these characters? I would love to read them. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I enjoyed writing it.
      And to answer your question:
      I am planning to write more stories about these characters…
      so keep an eye out for more…

      -Quinley

      Delete
  2. Ahhh I loved this story so so muuuch. XD "NO NO, THAT'S A TERRIBLE IDEA." This was so great. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane!:) That was the part I enjoyed writing the most.
      -Quinley

      Delete
  3. LITERALLY. SO. GOOD.

    And the title was PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!! I ADORE THIS, OKAY? I have a slight obsession with your characters now, but don't mind me! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gray! I’m glad you liked the story.
      -Quinley

      Delete
  4. Love the characters, Tes!!!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Catherine!:) It was fun to write about them.
      -Quinley

      Delete


Comment moderation is turned on. I apologize if your comment does not show up right away. If your comments are off-topic, inflammatory, or mean they will not be approved.