Monday, May 2, 2022

Lead Me Astray | An Original Song

I wrote "Lead Me Astray" for a songwriting class. The prompt was to listen to a song, and base an original song on it after analyzing the lyrics. The song I ended up choosing was "You're Haunting Me" by BlackBriar, which then inspired a song about something being in the darkness, and the fear of the unknown. 


I made a music video for it, and I tried to capture the feeling of "found footage" (footage that was filmed on a camera/phone that captures something paranormal). 

 
But if you want to listen to the music without the video, you can do so by listening to this. 

  🎶  Lyrics ðŸŽ¶ 

Skeletal branches tap against my window frame,
Reaching out like they have have something to gain,
I don't feel the same,

The sounds of the night,
The pale lights,
Want to...lead me, lead me astray
But, I don't feel that way

Something in the darkness is there,
Wanting to lead me into its lair,

Voices in the darkness keep calling,
But I don't feel like following,
They tell me riches await,
If only I trust in fate.

Often stories were told,
Of creatures of old,
Wanting to lead travelers away in the night,
Those stories would give me a fright,
But, now I am down to my last light,

I feel my desire growing,
Because of my not knowing...
What is there,
I feel I have been caught in its snare,
As it leads me astray...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you saw a light in the darkness, would you follow it? Has music inspired your own songs and/or stories? 
-Quinley

14 comments:

  1. Nice song and words. Have a great week, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I wouldn't follow a light in the darkness -- I'm much too much of a scaredy cat! It must be cool to write and sing your own songs. I can't possibly imagine doing that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Songwriting didn't come naturally to me when I first started, I've had some great teachers, I have practiced a lot, and I'm still learning.
      -Quinley

      Delete
  3. Great song Quinley!! Very eerie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this song! i'd probably follow the light :) your voice is so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice, I've always loved will o the wisps and definitely thought of those when I listened to this, plus the lights in the video made me think of those as well. Love that last shot with the moon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) I'm glad you liked it.
      -Quinley

      Delete
  6. That's a difficult song to sing!

    ReplyDelete


Comment moderation is turned on. I apologize if your comment does not show up right away. If your comments are off-topic, inflammatory, or mean they will not be approved.