Saturday, April 4, 2020

But Soft, What Light Through Yonder Window Breaks? (A Performance from Act II Scene II)


Hello fellow actors! I hope everyone is doing well, I know that COVID-19 can be scary.
But to lighten the mood, I thought I would do the acting related post I mentioned here.

This particular monologue I first memorized for a Shakespeare summer camp, where someone else and I each did half and half of it (and both played the different sides of Romeo). I played the negative side of Romeo while the person I was acting it with did the positive side. After the summer camp, I decided that I wanted to memorize the full monologue and work more on it. But I should say unlike To Be Or Not To Be which I have used for many auditions for Shakespeare shows, I have not used this one for an audition yet.

As for the filming of this, it took me many takes before I actually got an end result that I liked,
partly because I forgot the line "who is already sick and pale with grief" and without that, it completely changes the meaning of what Romeo is saying.

You can also watch it here

  As for the role of Romeo, I very much enjoyed playing him, and I think it would be neat to play him in a full production of Romeo and Juliet and not just a single monologue or scene. Romeo is a neat character, a very love-sick one, but a neat character even so. And I find Romeo to be a more fun character to play than Juliet.

Also, in the future for more acting posts, I have a contemporary monologue memorized. I plan to film it as soon as I find the costume props I need for it. So, there will be a mix of Shakespearian and contemporary monologues and scenes on this blog.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What character or characters would you want to play in Romeo and Juliet
What's your favorite monologue from it? 
                                                 -Quinley

6 comments:

  1. This was so fun! Great acting and awesome background...I hope you post more acting soon....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I LOVE Shakespeare! I especially like memorizing parts of Hamlet; especially when he's pretending to be mad. It's such fun. But I'd also like to begin memorizing some of Romeo and Juliet. I enjoyed this so much! Well done! Oh and the background is so cool. :o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Hamlet is one of my favorite plays, too. I hope to play him someday in a full production of the play. As of now, though, I've done one of his monologues on my blog. Which monologues did you memorize from Hamlet? I would love to hear. :D
      Thank you so much, Kendra.
      -Quinley

      Delete
  3. Amazing!! Loved the eye movements and deep thoughtfulness of the monologue! Background/setting was perfect. (Dr. Miller)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Dr. Miller. :) I'm glad you enjoyed watching it.
      -Quinley

      Delete


Comment moderation is turned on. I apologize if your comment does not show up right away. If your comments are off-topic, inflammatory, or mean they will not be approved.