Sunday, April 2, 2023

How April's Camp NaNoWriMo is Going for Me (Part 1)

Since I have talked about the story I am writing for April's camp multiple times, I think I will talk about my writing process in this post. If you want an (up-to-date) post about the details of my novel, The Mystery of the Body Thief, you can check it out here

This Camp NaNoWriMo I am focusing on the third draft of my novel, The Mystery of the Body Thief. I had initially planned to write the second book, Becoming the Body Thief's second draft. But I realized I did not plot out the second draft's plot, which could cause me to fall into one of the pit-falls of the first draft--having the characters aimlessly wandering. (I usually plot out my stories, but in that case I made the mistake in forgetting to plot and improvised it most of the way.)

My plan instead then is to work on Becoming the Body Thief during NaNoWriMo in November, so as to give me time to re-plot it and create connections between episodes. And in July, I will be working on The Haunted Sketchbook.

My Writing- 

There are two storylines going on at the same time, which I ignored in my first and second write through of the story. This time around, I am giving the characters equal attention. There is a mystery in both of the plots, and I need to give clues to the reader in both of these without revealing too much. So, I am using detective shows I've seen with plots like that for inspiration. 

 Since the first day of Camp NaNoWriMo was yesterday, here are some things I've been thinking about while writing this draft. My goal for this camp is to write 20,000 words worth of rewrites for this story, and so far I've written 3,218 words. 

I have been looking at Greek and Irish castles as models for the castle that Arisias lives in. Greek and Irish culture were the inspirations for my elves in general, and their religion. I don't want it to look fully Irish or fully Greek but a hybrid. I don't want someone to react to it like "oh, the elves are Irish" or "oh, the elves are Greek" but instead for there to be a mixture of both cultures, so that it becomes its own thing. This is a challenge, but it's going to be a fun one. 

(Fiáina the goddess of nature in festive clothes). 

I've been also working on a holiday related to the goddess, Fiáina. I only have one holiday figured out for that world, and that is the Festival of Magic. I want to make another one. It's not simply there to show world-building; rather, it has a purpose to the plot as a whole (that I can't reveal because of spoilers). So, I want to pay attention to what rituals would happen during that festival and what mythological importance it has to the goddess. And, I should add, this song by Spiral Dance was an inspiration to me for the holiday: 


Spiral Dance's music in general has reminded me of my fantasy world, so it is neat that it inspired a holiday for my world as well. 

I have been continuing to improve the descriptions of my elves.(I mentioned last time that I was working on this.)  I've been avoiding mentioning that they have pointy ears. While it may eventually be mentioned off hand, the part of my elves that is important is not that they have pointy ears, but instead that they are deeply connected to nature--even if their duties do not lie in the protection of or caring of nature. So far, it has been going well, but like the writing I have done with description for my other stories, I am going to make several revisions before I get a perfect draft. 

This year, I am also doing a writing prompt challenge, which involves getting to know your characters better. The characters I am doing it for are: Karleon (The God of Mischief), Salissah (The Goddess of the Moon), and Ophelia. 

Responding to the prompts has been helpful in understanding the characters more and also allowed me to get into Ophelia's backstory. I felt as if I had not thought a lot about it, which is strange, because I feel I should have given it more attention, since she has been alive for so long (being an elf). What I've found out about her backstory has added nuance to her character in the current story, and how her past affected her, since in hundreds of years a lot can happen. And if some humans aren't comfortable with events that happened in their past, elves are likely to have some past regrets too.

I am also exploring Karleon's and Salissah's friendship. When I first made them, I thought they'd be enemies, but they ended up becoming friends. (Karleon is not on good terms with Fiáina; however, when around their devotees, they act more as colleagues even if they're not on good terms.) In regards to Salissah's and Karleon's friendship, I guess they became friends because wit (what Karleon has) and wisdom (what Salissah has) work well together. 

While I am not currently writing  All is Not Lost For All Will Begin Again, I am working on the characters and the world.  I've been doing a ton of research for it, but I've been thinking about two characters: Veraly and Seth. The story has many main characters (as opposed to only one), so, it is going to be a good challenge to plot out the series. The world itself is still in its early stages in terms of world-building (unlike Arisias's world). I have an idea about what I want to do with it, but I have not figured out everything yet.  

(Moodboard for Veraly. Images from Wiki commons, Pixabay, and Pexels.  The template I used to make this mood-board was made by Ayzrules). 

As for the characters, Veraly is a performer and Phoenix's (adoptive) sister. She has water magic and enjoys performing arts of different kinds. I've been thinking about what creative things she does and how those creative things affect how she views the world. 

And Seth is a shapeshifter spy. He's also incredibly religious, and the reason why he is doing that is due to that world's religion. An object important to their religion was stolen, and he has to find it. 
And I want to figure out how he feels about being a spy given that he is religious: how he handles it, whether there is guilt from it, and things like that.

Both these characters I am trying to develop more, so hopefully I will learn more about them too, along with their world. Even though I am not writing their story at the moment, I thought I would share. 

Playlist for The Mystery of the Body Thief 

And also since I shared the playlist I made last year's camp, here is the playlist for the novel I am currently working on. 

  Fun (Non-Writing Related) things- 

 * In March, I went to an online S.J. Tucker concert: it was so fun. And as a songwriter myself, it was fun to find out that she too was inspired by books in writing her music. Since the concert was collaboration with a library,  there were a ton of book recommendations that came with the songs she sang. 

I've previously never found a way to go to concerts for the singers I love (since they are either in a different country or don't do concerts at all), so finding out about this was so fun and I am glad I went. It was a fun way to celebrate spring equinox. She ended up playing "Rabbit's Song," which was a song that served as an inspiration for Karleon's myths in the myth collection and was one of my favorites of hers. And I was introduced to some new (and unreleased) songs that I had never heard before. 


One of these was "Kashkash," which was inspired by a book, In the Cities of Coin and Spice

*
(Image from wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_You_Like_It#/media/File:Rosalind_-_Robert_Walker_Macbeth.jpg)

 I attended and participated in a dramatic reading of As You Like It and read some parts in it (Rosalind, Celia, Orlando, and a few others). I had not read or seen the play in a long time, so that was fun. It was fun to perform with a group again and to play different roles. It makes me want to try to get Rosalind or Orlando as a part in a full production of As You Like It sometime. 

And that's the end of part one!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------How was your March? Are you doing Camp NaNoWriMo or another fun activity this April? 
-Quinley 

11 comments:

  1. Writing is such a complex process and sooooo much work! Glad you were able to attend that online concert -- it sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quinley, your imagination and creative productivity are amazing! It sounds like the world/character-building you are doing for Camp NaNoWriMo will be very helpful heading into NaNoWriMo (which I never do: somehow, instead of inspiring me to write like the wind, the whole concept inspires me to curl up on the sofa and take a nap). The online concert you were able to attend sounds wonderful -- I'm glad you were able to attend. Nice, too, that you were able to participate in a dramatic reading. I think a person gets so much more out of these works by reading them aloud... makes me miss a group I once belonged to where we met once a month to read a play. Good luck with Camp NanoWriMo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are getting on with your writing. I had a busy month, too. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh the writing prompt challenge sounds like a really effective way to better flesh out the characters. That is so smart!
    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Detective shows could be a great inspiration I would think! And I love that music. Elves' relationship to nature has always been a favorite aspect of mine as well.

    Your playlist looks great- I like that Blackmore's Night and Violet Orlandi are on there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, detective shows can be so inspiring. Do you have a favorite one? I've been watching Death in Paradise. 😃
      Me too, Tolkiens' wood-elves were the inspirations for my elves.

      Thank you.❤️
      -Quinley

      Delete
  6. "I am also exploring Karleon's and Salissah's friendship. When I first made them, I thought they'd be enemies, but they ended up becoming friends."
    Isn't it funny how characters have a mind of their own sometimes? I heard it from writers all the time 😂.

    " It makes me want to try to get Rosalind or Orlando as a part in a full production of As You Like It sometime."
    The dramatic reading sounds fun, and I hope you can fulfill your dream one day!

    Best of luck with Camp NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is funny, it seems my characters have a mind of their own most of the time. 😂

      Thank you, I hope I achieve that dream someday, too.
      -Quinley

      Delete
  7. Wow, the story and the world you are creating while discovering is so intriguing! I especially love the character's names. I am looking forward to reading more about your world, its people, and their stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You certainly have a lot of ideas and characters to keep track of. Do you make lists, such as characters traits and events? I

    I find multiple perspectives such a normal thing in books now but it can be hard to differentiate characters.

    Good luck with Camp NaNoWriMo.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) To answer your question, I make character sheets usually, and I have a whole outline written for the plot, to keep things straight.

      I agree, multiple perspectives do seem to be more common in books now.
      I hope you have a wonderful day too.
      -Quinley

      Delete


Comment moderation is turned on. I apologize if your comment does not show up right away. If your comments are off-topic, inflammatory, or mean they will not be approved.