Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Using Polls to Create Art #2

                                                       Click here to read the first post in the series if you haven't already. 

This post was meant to be published earlier. The drawings in this post were drawn in 2020, but the post got lost in the drafts on my blog, and I forgot about it until now. (One of the answers on the survey reminded me about this post). 

Anyway, the basic premise of this series is using poll responses to create drawings, using majority votes to decide aspects of the drawing. Unless otherwise stated all these drawings came out of majority votes. 

And here they are: 


This is a good character turned villain. It represents the majority vote in this particular poll (where the choices were between Gletta and Tirfendiel).  Gletta won and poll respondents wanted me to do an evil version of her like I had done with Phoenix and Annabelle. I wonder if her goth style made people think "oh she'd be a cool villain." I ended up changing her appearance as a villain and making it so Gletta is more aligned with what her parents wanted her to be. I imagine she wouldn't be happy this way and perhaps she would use her power (as queen) for bad rather than for good. 

I notice people tend to like to see characters who usually don't dress in fancy clothes, wear fancy clothes. Oak, who is a huntress of Artemis, wouldn't usually wear something like this because she is in the wilderness and it would be bad to get her clothes dirty.  Given that I drew this before I learned how to do figure drawings, I may decide to redraw it in the future using what I learned from figure drawing. 



This is a drawing of my version of Ichabod from a retelling of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow  that I may decide to write one day. I did the poll for this a while ago, around Halloween, and the choice of him going out trick or treating in a halloween costume was what won the vote. However, in 1790s America (which is where his story takes place) trick or treating wasn't established as part of the celebration for Halloween. But even so this was very fun to draw.  I also thought it would be fun to dress Ichabod up as a vampire, because why not? (I'm guessing that Aurinda (a main character in my retelling) probably convinced him to do it). 


The poll that produced this happened around the same time. I decided to have Oak dress up as Medusa, but have everything she wears be made out leaves like her normal outfit is. 



For this one I had people vote on what medium (digital or pencil) I should draw the picture in. Pencil won.  Also, as with the drawing of Gletta, the option of drawing Oak as a villain won. In this alternate universe, I imagined what would have happened had she not joined the Hunters of Artemis. 



Based on the same poll as Gletta's drawing, I ended up with a different result for Tirfendiel. The majority vote here asked to see him celebrating whatever winter holiday exists in his world. Since people in that Fantasy world are fascinated with the spirit world, it is common during the winter months for people to seek guidance from the spirits about the months ahead. 

And though the drawing medium was not voted for on either the drawing of Ichabod or Tirfendiel, I thought I'd play around with using a photograph as a background while having everything else be drawn. (I also played around with the transparency of the layers).   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which drawing is your favorite? 
If your character was going to a costume party, what would they dress up as?

-Quinley

6 comments:

  1. Hey Quinley! I nominated you for the Twenty Years Older: Letter Tag! I would be elated if you would do it :)
    https://maithworld.blogspot.com/2021/05/twenty-years-older-letter-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all so good! I think I like Evil Gletta best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, McKayla. :) It was fun to draw evil Gletta.
      -Quinley

      Delete
  3. Wow Quinley, you really are an artist!

    ReplyDelete


Comment moderation is turned on. I apologize if your comment does not show up right away. If your comments are off-topic, inflammatory, or mean they will not be approved.