Tuesday, June 7, 2022

I Finished the Second Draft of The Mystery of the Body Thief


Greetings travelers, 

I wanted to let you know that I finished the second draft of the Mystery of the Body Thief on the 20th of May! The reason I didn't post this earlier was because I had a lot of other posts planned, and I wanted to take some time to write this post. (And not rush it). 

It feels so great to have the second draft done, because now I can move onto the third! And I have a lot of plans for the third draft. 

Here is a little bit of a behind-the-scenes for drafting. To keep myself organized I've been creating folders for the different drafts of my novel: 

I do this because I've written different scenes in different documents, and it is easy to lose them or confuse them because of that. I do not want to confuse the first draft with the second draft, nor the third draft with the second, or anything else along those lines. 

           But let's now move onto what is next for The Mystery of the Body Thief:

Synopsis-


Genres: Fantasy | Murder Mystery  Series: It is the first book in the Lady Annabelle Mystery Series. 

Horatio wakes up from being in a coma, but he doesn't remember anything that happened before he fell into unconsciousness. All that he remembers is a name, "Annabelle!" 

Also... Detective Inspector Time finds himself having to solve a case without Lady Annabelle.
Murders have been happening throughout many different kingdoms, and no one knows who exactly is behind it all.                

                  What's Next for The Mystery of the Body Thief


So as not to rush either story and to give more time to both, I have decided to divide the novel (which was originally 255,185 words) into two books. So as to be thoughtfully written rather than something that is just dashed off, this is going to be a book series. I suppose it is good that I already have three books planned out for it as opposed to just one. 

On another note, I have realized that the names are very inconsistent. I have characters whose names are common and others whose names are unusual (ones that I made up myself). I realized, after compiling a blog post as to what changed in my story, that the common names were left over from the novel originally being in the genre, Alternate History. To give it more of a High Fantasy feeling of another world, I decided I needed to rename some characters. 

I am in the middle of renaming Annabelle, Angela, and Marigold. Some names will stay the same like Horatio's. I realized, even though something like Lord of the Rings has fantastical names, they also have some real names (they are few and far between), but they are woven into the story enough that they don't sound strange. At the moment the naming for my story is all over the place, so I am going to try and fix that in the third draft. When I do change their names expect their profiles on this blog to be updated with their changed names. 

In the third draft I will also be continuing to world-build. I have more ideas for what the world is like, and the magic system has become much more clear to me, than it was before (before it was barely there). 

Also, since I was rewriting and reworking the story from 2018-2020, it meant that I had to give myself an outline for the third draft in this drafting. The scenes are much like Dolls of Wax Eyes of Glass's first draft, but that was because I was trying to make sense of stuff that I wrote years ago. And, I wanted this draft to give me an idea of how somethings will play out in the third draft. So I now have an outline that isn't my 2018 writing to work with. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What are your own approaches to editing? What are some of your favorite Fantasy names? 
-Quinley 

16 comments:

  1. I always struggle with names. Do you go fantastical or stay with more prosaic names, or mix em up? Anyways congrats on the second draft! Sounds like your story is coming along nicely. :)

    Galadriel might be one of my favorite names in fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For my stories set in the real world, I tend to have mostly realistic names. But for my Fantasy stories, I like having mostly fantastical names with some real ones sprinkled in here and there.

      Galadriel is such a good name. :)
      -Quinley

      Delete
  2. I've always been fond of the name Horatio. It's not a common one, but has been attached to some memorable figures -- Horatio Nelson in British history, Horatio in "Hamlet" and Horatio Hornblower in CS Forester's "Hornblower" naval series of adventure novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Horatio is an awesome name. :D
      -Quinley

      Delete
  3. You seem to be very organized with your editing: Good luck with the next part! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good and you are oraganised. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!!! It sounds soooo cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you have the money, Scrivener is an awesome tool for organization. It's probably the best writing-related purchase I've ever made, and it can do what you're doing with different documents and folders within one program. I wish you luck with editing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scrivener sounds awesome! Thank you for the suggestion, I have heard of Scrivener, but never used it before. I will be sure to look into it. And thanks again. :D

      -Quinley

      Delete


Comment moderation is turned on. I apologize if your comment does not show up right away. If your comments are off-topic, inflammatory, or mean they will not be approved.