Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Introducing Some Characters: Ghosts (P.1)

Here are some ghostly spectres, who I think deserve a proper introduction, since I didn't really give them one before. I am working on my novel, Dolls of Wax, Eyes of Glass this month, and I thought getting into the spooky mood was appropriate. And also I must add, I may or may not have been influenced by Debra's post to be in a "Summerween" mood. 😉

Since this is part of a series (that I started in 2017), you can check out the other installments of it here. (It will be under the "Introducing Some Characters" section). 

Here are the ghosts, the stories of these ghosts are not for the faint of heart: 

                                            The Solitary Violinist 

The Solitary Violinist is a performer, who was murdered. She performs while waiting for her killer to come back, so she can make him dance to death. However, he has yet to return. Many people watch her perform from a distance and hear the sound of her violin playing next to the tree where she died. 

She will often ask passersby, if they know where her killer went. The answer is important. For if you give the wrong answer (that is, if you answer "no" or "yes"), the ghost will be unhappy with you, because you will have either given her false hope or no hope. And you don't want to know what she will do--it is said many have met their demise or been lost forever in the woods. So, it is advised that you don't stop and listen to the music, and don't answer her question, but instead carry on as if you never heard it. 

                                  The "Painted" Devil 

The "devil" is a doll sewn from a woven bag that has the face of a devil embroidered (not painted) on it and a strange marking in red. The doll is possessed by a vengeful spirit which someone summoned into the doll for their own selfish reasons. 

The doll has been found at different antique shops and purchased by different owners over the years. Whoever owns the doll always reports strange ghostly activity and sudden unexplainable deaths. However, no one who has had these experiences has owned the doll for long, for it always mysteriously vanishes. Then it seemingly reappears in another shop. No one is safe, are you next?                                                

                                        The Ghost Bride 

"The Ghost Bride," as she is called, was a woman who died on the day of her wedding. She is seen walking around wearing a wedding dress and veil. How she died is unknown, but it is speculated she died of a sudden illness. 

She won't stop her haunts until her dying wish is granted. She is said to even go as far as possession to achieve this--which is why young women who are to marry are advised not to stop by her grave. And those who aren't getting married but want to appease her, often leave little presents or "wedding gifts" for her, so that she feels less restless. 

However, it is unclear whether this will actually stop the spirit. For she has plans...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Which character is your favorite? And, which of their backstories scared you the most? 
-Quinley 

12 comments:

  1. Oh wow. The Solitary Violinist is such a fascinating story. Even spookier that it is best not to answer her question at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) I'm glad you find The Solitary Violinist to be spooky. ;)
      -Quinley

      Delete
  2. These always freak me out. I think I like the Violinist- almost like a banshee, in a way.

    Seriously... jack o melons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Greg.😃 I never thought about her being like a banshee before-- but I do see the similarities now that you mention it.

      Yup, you can't have Jack'O Lanterns in summer, so one will have to settle for Jack'O Melons. 😄
      -Quinley

      Delete
  3. These ghostly spectres are ALL terrific inventions -- I can't pick which one is scarier because they all are! I think if the Solitary Violinist asked me "the question" I would simply say "I don't know" -- would that work to save me, do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. 💙 It depends, really. I'm sure you could trick The Solitary Violinist in some way by saying "I don't know" because it is a different answer than she was expecting. She is used to "yes" or "no" answers, but I imagine it really depends on how you do it. 😉
      -Quinley

      Delete
  4. These are all great characters. I like the Violinist best too :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me the solitary violinist was the best. Ghost music is a great idea. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. My vote is for the Violinist! "Dance to death" sounds deliciously horrifying, and I love how you can never give her the right answer 😂 (unless, as Debra above says, you utter a noncommittal "I don't know"). Anyhow, I love any ghost character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. 💙 I'm glad you like the characteristics of the Violinist: the "dance to the death" and never saying the right answer.😄 I'm also glad that you enjoyed my post.
      -Quinley

      Delete


Comment moderation is turned on. I apologize if your comment does not show up right away. If your comments are off-topic, inflammatory, or mean they will not be approved.